Saturday, March 17, 2018

From Patrick

So, I've finally had a chance to settle down and reflect on the past two weeks and here's what I've come to realize...
(1) I have restored faith in humanity. The outpouring of support from friends, family and complete and utter strangers has been very overwhelming. I can't even begin to express the gratitude we feel. To those that have brought us food or supplied gift cards to nearby restaurants and coffee houses, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. There are too many to list, but know that we know who you are and our hearts are yours.
(2) A village is needed to raise a child. To our community of Lisbon and all the wonderful people that have reached out to offer a hand, thank you. We are truly at a loss for words. The benefits and banquets in the works by multiple establishments is beyond belief. I keep slapping myself wondering if this is all a dream. Nope. These are real, compassionate people that care for the wellbeing of a child in their town. Wow.
(3) Family > everything. This goes out to my older brother Paul Kelleherfor his daily talks on the phone, to my brother in law Dan Bowie and Heather Hesseltine Gamage for being there every step of the way, to my brother in law Jay Bowie for caring for our dogs and always showing up when we need him the most, to my father and mother in law Paul and Linda Bowie for taking care of Addy without question or hesitation, to my father and Debra McKeen Kelleher for always bringing a smile to our daughters faces, to Julia Durgee and Dan Carmody for being a great escape when I was down and out, to Diane Dennison for being the best extension of my childhood I could ever ask for, to Justine Fucci and Frank Fucci and Amy E Biggs for their compassion and daily support, and to Ed Blackman for being an amazing neighbor and life long friend. My eyes are wide open.
(4) Good is alive and well in this world. I hesitated to launch a gofundme page. I did. It tore me to think I needed to ask for help. I've always been the one to reach out -- supported myself and lent a hand when needed. Worked since I was 15 to support not just me but my single mother. Need to pay your car payment? Sure, just pay me back when you can. Short on cash to buy your family food this week? Just take $100 and I don't want it back. But I had to throw aside my pride and do what I could to help my child. I am absolutely floored with the generosity of family, friends, co-workers and strangers who believe in this little girl. I can't begin to explain what you have enabled us to do for Cady with your giving. In the days ahead, I will detail our steps that will hopefully lead to progress towards better treatment of her disorder. Know this...whatever we do with your money, know it will be met with the utmost respect for where it came from.
(5) I've been changed for ever. Have you ever come to a point in your life when certain events are either so traumatic or euphoric that they forever change your soul? The way you carry yourself. What you deem important. What you motivate yourself by every morning. Your outlook on life. I'm sure you have. Well, I'm 100% positive that has happened to me. I feel more human than ever. Mortal. Part of something greater than myself. To find a sliver lining in something so devastating is a challenge, but over the past few days since we've been home I've allowed those feelings to emerge and I'm better for it. 
Thank you for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's New?

I have not posted in ages. It feels strange to sit here and stare at the cursor blinking on the blank page.  I just have to post this today,...