Thursday, April 26, 2018

Calm and cool

We are knocking on wood. Things are going really well right now. They are getting back into a rhythm with school and after school projects and homework. I attended a PTO training today at the school and brought the kids along. I want to be more available to help out not only on field trips, but also in the classroom as volunteers are needed. 

I want to be that mom that is always on top of things when it comes to stuff like that. As parents, my husband and I are very much advocating for both of our daughters. That being said, I am not Super-mom all the time. Laundry is clean, but not folded right away. Dishes pile up in the sink. There is always shouting. We are very noisy in our house. Noisy and messy and fun!

We are never afraid of our emotions here. A common saying here is "hey, just because something pops in your brain doesn't mean it needs to come out of your mouth. Can we please find a nicer way of saying that?" It's amazing to me how much I just try to reiterate these simple little sayings to them. As simple as Mister Rogers Neighborhood (or the newer version Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.) Common courtesy is still important. Please and thank you. No, thank you. I'm sorry. All simple and valid and necessary.

If all I teach my kids is how to be thoughtful and nice, then I have achieved. We are human. Our feelings are valid. Life is short, so let's all do some good. 

1 comment:

  1. You have raised two very kind,smart little humans. Addy was so hospitable with the glass of water and her beautiful art work ( hanging on out frig! ) Those little angels of yours are the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete

What's New?

I have not posted in ages. It feels strange to sit here and stare at the cursor blinking on the blank page.  I just have to post this today,...